Archive for the ‘History’ Category
Friday, December 18th, 2009
- 1804 — Morphine is isolated by Friedrich Wilhelm Adam Sertürner.
- 1832 — Codeine is first extracted from opium.
- 1853 — Scottish physician Alexander Wood co-invents the hypodermic syringe with French surgeon Charles Pravaz.
- 1874 — C.R. Alder Wright synthesizes diacetylmorphine, heroin, from anhydrous morphine alkaloid.
- 1898 — Bayer Pharmaceutical Company markets heroin as a safe, non-addictive morphine substitute, and cough suppressant for children.
- 1913 — Bayer Pharmaceutical Company stops production of heroin.
- 1914 — The Harrison Narcotics Tax Act is passed, which put a tax on opium, heroin, and cocaine.
- 1924 — The Heroin Act is passed, making manufacture and possession of heroin illegal.
- 1937 — Hoechst 10820 is invented, later to be called methadone, by German scientists Max Bockmühl and Gustav Ehrhart.
- 1930 — The Federal Bureau of Narcotics was created.
- 1970 — The Controlled Substances Act was enacted into law, creating a legal system that divided drugs into categories, set regulatory standards, and set penalties for illicit possession.
- 2002 — Buprenorphine is approved for treatment of opioid dependency under the tradename Suboxone.
Share and Enjoy